The original article was written when Zoom Studio was named Aguiar Photography.
Fine art photography in studio
Portraits inspired by the painting Doña Isabel de Porcel by Francisco De Goya
I might have been infected by a virus that compels me to enter all museums and art galleries and pinacothèque I can. This happened during my first visit to the Louvre museum 30 years ago. Since that day, I have visited numerous museums in many countries. The European paintings from the 1600s to the 1800s are my favourites.
My personal work has been primarily about landscapes, cities and everyday life events but this project was quite different. This project is a technical exercise to recreate some of the magic of great masters paintings in the studio.
The objective was not to replicate the original painting in all details but to be inspired by the original work. The technical exercise of lighting and posing is only part of the creation. The costumes and props used as well as the hairstyle and makeup were also inspired by the original work. A time travel experience for all involved.
This is the first article of a series. Click on the images inside the article to zoom in.
Click in the image to see it larger.
The original painting
Francisco De Goya (1746-1828)
Doña Isabel de Porcel, <1805
Oil on canvas, 82 x 55 cm
Born in Spain during the 18th-19th century, Goya’s astounding success began in 1786 as the King’s portrait painter and later as a court painter in 1789.
It’s believed Goya painted Doña Isabel and her husband, Don Antonio, as individual portraits to thank them for their hospitality. However, Antonio’s portrait was later destroyed by a fire in 1953.
Tash Jenkins and Megan Mitchell contributed as individual models within the photograph. Inspiring both elegance and posture as the original fine art painting expresses.
Read more about the painting displayed in The National Gallery, London, and watch the short video about the painting.
Megan is studying an acting course part-time at 16th street, “improv at The Improv Conspiracy”. Megan is modelling when she has a chance and looking for more involvement in the arts. She graduated with an economics/finance bachelor of commerce last year and is embracing her creativity.
Natasha is 19 years old and enjoys acting in her spare time. In the future, she hopes this passion develops into a career. She is currently working as a children’s entertainer focusing mostly on birthday parties, school fetes, and kindergarten programmes.
Debbie (Costume designer)
Debbie is the head of the wardrobe for the National theatre ballet in the National Theatre in St Kilda since 2008 and has participated in numerous professional productions in Melbourne and all around Australia. It was a real pleasure, and a lot of fun working with Debbie.
Isabella Linaker-Kappos (Makeup artist)
Isabella is a Melbourne based makeup artist and has always had a passion for the creative field.
From an early age, she knew this was the path to take.
Isabella is a freelance makeup artist, who studied a Diploma of Specialist Makeup at the
Australian College of Hair Design and Beauty in 2015. She has started building her portfolio with local photographers.
- Langmuir, E. The National Gallery Companion Guide. (pp. 30). National Gallery Company, London: Yale University Press.
- Langmuir, E. The National Gallery Companion Guide. (pp.302-303). National Gallery Company, London: Yale University Press.
- Precindo, P. (2009). Museo Nacional del Prado (1st). (pp. 375).
- Francisco De Goya – the Complete Works. (2002-2016). Retrieved 22 September 2016 from http://www.franciscodegoya.net/biography.html
- Read more on https://www.artsy.net/artist/francisco-de-goya
Find out more about our services
- Amazon Advertising photography of a special blanket
- Advertising photography of a new travel pillow
- Teeth Whitening advertising product photography for website
- Plastic folders for Amazon - Advertising product photography
- Sleeping helping cream and mask advertising product photography
- Business cards advertising product photography
- Insect repellent creams and candles - advertising product photography
- Cargo monitoring mirror - Lifestyle advertising photography
- Defrost Plate - Amazon and lifestyle advertising product photography