The original article was written when Zoom Studio was named Aguiar Photography.
Why I sent these images to APPA 2015
Following from the previous post about the upside-down city of Diamantina, this article comments on the other photos.
This print has received a Silver award. The stairs create an optical illusion and it takes a few seconds to understand which part of the stair is going up or down. The metalwork is exquisite and the old hardwood fits very well with the building. (click to see it bigger)
Click in the image to see it larger.
Old timber and metal stair were photographed from under the stairs. Silver award APPA 2015. Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
This is a simple image that did not impress the judges well. I believe the judges are correct. It is a too simple image but I love it. The print shows signs of time. The story of a time when religion was more important than today. The church and the nice big clock are still resisting the time despite abandonment by the society shown by the grass and the distressed paintings. The composition is balanced and interesting with parallel lines, triangles and balancing details (columns on down on left and up on right). The happy colour palette with the yellows and a blue sky gives hope while keeping it all true.
Perhaps it is only an old clock in an old church but I like it. Please send your comments. What do you see? Like?
The clock of Saint Francis church in Sabara Minas Gerais Brazil
This portrait was taken in a very small village close to Milho Verde town that is also a very small place close to the city of Serro in Minas Gerais Brazil.
She is a very nice and religious woman. She takes care of herself with local herbal tea while waiting for the very rare doctor's visit to the community centre. She grows a few vegetables in the garden and has some truly free-range chicken. A simple and honest life.
For this print, I only desaturated the image and cropped it in order to show the window dividing the image in half. Her face, her look and her pose tells a lot. I love the texture of the old timber, her face and her hands.
What do you think? Send me your comments.
The print on display:
- Adjusting your image size for printing - Image resolution, paper size, margins.
- Personal project - "Emotions"
- Filming and photographing from an antique aeroplane in Robe South Australia
- Fine art photography in studio - Inspired by Danae by Jacob Van Loo
- Fine art photography in the studio - Inspired by the portrait of a man and a woman by Robert Campin
- Fine art photography in the studio - Inspired by the painting Judith and Holofernes by Artemisia
- Fine art photography in the studio - Inspired by the painting Samson and Delilah by Peter Paul Rubens
- Fine art photography in the studio - Inspired by the painting Jael and Sisera by Artemisia Gentileschi
- Fine art photography in the studio - Inspired by the painting Woman with Pearl by Camille Corot